Monday, January 17, 2011

What I did with my snow day

Last Wednesday, New England got socked with our third snowstorm in three weeks, and it was a doozy! Here in my part of Connecticut, we got just over two feet of snow--enough to break records in some places. And really, once you're counting it in feet, who cares how much there is? It's a LOT.

Thankfully, my uber-boss (the town manager) decided to follow the Governor's directive and close municipal offices last Wednesday. An impromptu snow day--yay! The madman was already scheduled to be off that day, so we spent a cozy day snowed in together. And while he played video games, I got all caffeinated (I may or may not have also cleaned the kitchen during my coffee-fueled frenzy--the details got blurry) and came out sewing!

I joined the 3x6 Beehive Mini-Bee over on flickr this year--this is my first quarter with the group, and I have to say I love that I have a three-month chunk of time to make up blocks on my own schedule. So I figured I'd at least make a dent in my blocks on Wednesday. Thanks to my caffeine buzz, I made quick work of the demo block, in my own colors of green, gray and white:



I love the look of maverick stars, and with fewer seams and points to match than traditional star blocks, they work up really quickly.



This quickly, in fact--they're all done! Even better, they were all pieced from my scraps and stash--NO purchasing came into play for these puppies. You can see red was a VERY popular color in our little hive. I had such a great time with these blocks, it gave me the push I needed to finally start working on a project I've had bouncing around in my head for over a year--you saw hints of it in yesterday's Sunday stash post. I'm on vacation all week, and hope to get some more sewing done, so pop back here later this week, and there should be more progress!

1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE them too!!!! They are so fresh looking.