Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hibernation instinct

You know, I don't much care that the Weather Channel keeps telling me that the Northeast is running about 10 degrees above average. It's cold most morning when I'm going to work. And it's cold most evenings when I'm getting out of work. My house is cold--the heat clicks on. We have piles of covers on the bed, and the cats sleep on the bed in shifts to be all snuggly and warm. The littlest one has started her annual habit of burrowing under the covers and napping there all day long.

My Yankee instinct at this time of year is to hibernate. A warm cup of tea after a hot, comforting dinner. Curling up with a blanket and a cat and a book in the evenings.

There has been a bit of sewing. I finally caved in and joined the Pillow Talk Swap over on flickr, this being their fourth round, and my first. I've got the front pieced and quilted--I just need to put it together with the back. I finished the last 10 blocks of my husband's improv log cabin quilt, and will spend the weekend sewing on sashing and sewing blocks together.

That just means I have to survive Thanksgiving! This is my second year hosting--last year was extremely stressful, but both my mother and husband have noted that I seem much calmer this year. If you don't count the massive muscle spasm I've carried in my right shoulder for the last month, I'd agree with them. I feel fairly well prepared--I'm doing less this year than I did last year. I'm doing the bird, gravy and three sides--two of the sides will be done and ready to be reheated by tomorrow afternoon. Mom's bringing pies and 2 more sides. My in-laws and their friends are bringing befores. I delegated pretty well this year, and the house is clean--it'll just need a quick once-over that morning. And there's only 11 of us this year. Still too many for a sit-down dinner in my teeny-tiny little house, but less than last year's 14.

And once it's done, I get to enjoy three more days off--here's to hoping I have enough energy for some sewing! And to my readers--have a happy and safe holiday. See you on the flip side, with photos of what I've been working on!

3 comments:

Mystica said...

A happy peaceful thanksgiving to you and yours!

Needled Mom said...

Hibernation sounds pretty good to me too. Do you think we would have to make up for lost time when we came out???

Retrogirl said...

hibernation....exactly! perfect weather for piecing.