Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Project Linus

I blogged earlier today about finding inspiration through my online quilt groups and all of you amazing quilt and craft bloggers out there. And one of the things that I've run across a number of times in the last few weeks is references to Project Linus. It's a national organization with lots of local chapters (I was surprised to find one only one town away. I don't even have a GUILD that meets anywhere near the town I live in, for Pete's sake...) and their focus is providing handmade quilts and blankets to children in times of illness and trauma, via shelters, hospitals and other local facilities.

I have had an odd urge lately to make baby quilts. I don't have any friends or relatives who are currently expecting. I had thought to perhaps make a few and just keep them on-hand for when an occasion arose. Project Linus sounds like an awesome way to focus some of that creative drive. (Cuz lord knows, I won't be making them for kids of my own.)

So for those out there wondering what to do with small scrap quilts, orphaned blocks, that jelly roll of brights that's been sitting in your stash for months? Consider taking a weekend and making a crib quilt--a break from whatever you're working on, nothing fancy. Contact your local chapter (listed on their website by state) about what they need most. I'm waiting to hear back from mine. :)

Til next time,
--Meg

No comments: